You are here

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide is produced when fuel such as gas, oil, coal and wood do not burn properly.  The most common cause of this is when an appliance is installed incorrectly or poorly maintained. Carbon monoxide can also build up when flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.

Many people fail to have their chimney swept at regular intervals, either due to the fact that they are unaware of the maintenance requirements, the potential consequences, or for financial reasons.

The Department of Health estimate that 50 people are killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, and at least 4000 are treated in hospital in the UK each year; there is every likelihood however that this figure is greater due to many cases of carbon monoxide poisoning being undiagnosed.  The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be confused with flue-like symptoms, including;

 

  • Severe headaches

  • Chest and stomach pains

  • Drowsiness

  • Nausea

  • Dizziness

  • General lethargy

 

The use of an unregistered chimney sweep can be dangerous.  It is only through trade organisations such as the Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps that a customer can have confidence that the chimney sweep that they employ has undergone recognised training and certification.  Upon completing the sweep, an approved sweep can issue a sweeping certificate recognised by insurance companies.

 

To make your home safe, follow these simple steps;

 

  • Have your chimney swept by an approved sweep on a regular basis according to the fuel type and frequency of use

  • Do not use appliances that are not functioning corectly or that you may be suspicious of until a competent person had first assessed it for safety

  • Install a carbon monoxide alarm in close proximity to the appliance and test it regularly.

 

Home-sweep is a member of the Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps and is HETAS approved.

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer